Fresh violence erupted in Gaza on Friday as Israeli military fire killed several Palestinians, including children, local medical officials said, underscoring the fragility of a ceasefire that has remained largely stalled for weeks.
Hospital authorities in Gaza City reported that multiple victims were brought in following separate incidents near the eastern districts of the city. Among the dead was at least one infant, highlighting the continued civilian toll despite an agreement intended to halt hostilities.
According to doctors at Shifa Hospital, some of the casualties came from areas close to the ceasefire demarcation line established under the October truce. Residents described sudden shelling and gunfire in neighborhoods where displaced families had taken shelter, creating panic among civilians who believed those zones were relatively safe.
In one incident, tank fire struck a building being used as a temporary shelter, resulting in several deaths and injuries. Emergency crews said access to the area was delayed due to ongoing security concerns, requiring coordination through international channels before bodies could be recovered.
The Israeli military acknowledged that troops had opened fire in eastern Gaza City, stating that soldiers identified individuals they believed posed a threat near restricted zones. Officials said the incident is under review and expressed regret for civilian harm, while maintaining that forces were acting to protect their positions.
Despite the ceasefire agreement, Gaza officials say violations have continued intermittently since it came into effect. Reports of airstrikes, artillery fire, and ground operations have persisted in various parts of the territory, including Khan Younis and central Gaza, further straining an already weakened truce.
The renewed violence comes as diplomatic efforts intensify abroad. Senior representatives from several Middle Eastern countries have arrived in the United States for talks aimed at stabilizing the ceasefire and preventing a return to full-scale conflict. U.S. officials say the focus remains on implementing unresolved parts of the agreement, including governance arrangements and international security mechanisms for Gaza.
While the first phase of the truce led to the exchange of hostages and prisoners and allowed increased humanitarian aid, progress toward a more permanent settlement has proven difficult. Mediators warn that continued military incidents risk derailing negotiations altogether.
The war began after a deadly cross-border attack in October 2023, triggering a prolonged and devastating conflict. Palestinian health authorities estimate that tens of thousands have been killed since then, with women and children accounting for a significant portion of the casualties. Israel disputes some international accusations regarding its conduct during the war, while rights groups continue to call for independent investigations.
As talks continue behind closed doors, civilians in Gaza remain caught between uncertainty and fear, with many questioning whether the ceasefire can survive without meaningful enforcement and political compromise.



