U.S. Retaliatory Strike in Syria Eliminates Militant Tied to Deadly Ambush on Americans

U.S. forces conducted a precision strike in northwest Syria on Friday, killing an Al-Qaeda-linked figure that American officials said played a direct role in a recent ambush on U.S. personnel. Central Command (CENTCOM) identified the militant as Bilal Hasan al-Jasim, describing him as a veteran extremist operative tied to Islamic State (ISIS) networks in the region.

The operation, CENTCOM said, targeted al-Jasim due to his involvement in coordinating an ISIS attack last month in Palmyra that left three Americans dead. The gunman behind the December 13 ambush had already been neutralized by partner forces in December, according to the Pentagon.

The Americans killed in the assault were Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, 25, and Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, 29 – both soldiers with the Iowa National Guard – as well as civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat. Several other U.S. and Syrian personnel were injured during the firefight.

Adm. Brad Cooper, who oversees CENTCOM operations, said the latest strike underscores Washington’s willingness to pursue those responsible for killing American personnel. “There is no refuge for individuals who plot or inspire attacks on U.S. citizens and service members,” Cooper said, noting that the operation was part of a broader campaign underway in Syria.

Part of Expanding Campaign ‘Hawkeye Strike’

Friday’s strike marked the third major U.S. action in Syria since the December ambush. The wider campaign, named Hawkeye Strike, has focused on ISIS leadership, logistics hubs, and weapons storage facilities. CENTCOM reported that U.S. and partner militaries – including forces from Jordan and Syria – have conducted more than 100 strikes on ISIS infrastructure using over 200 precision munitions.

Over the past year, these combined operations have resulted in the capture of more than 300 ISIS operatives and the deaths of more than 20 others, according to military assessments.

President Donald Trump had vowed a strong response immediately after the December ambush, referring to it as “an ISIS attack against the United States.” Administration officials said the retaliatory posture would continue as long as ISIS elements remain capable of targeting U.S. assets.

Shift in Diplomatic Posture Toward Damascus

Alongside expanded military actions, Washington has engaged in new diplomatic efforts focused on Syria’s political transition. U.S. Special Envoy Tom Barrack met in Damascus on January 10 with Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa and Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani – meetings that signaled one of the highest-level U.S. contacts in years.

Barrack said afterward that President Trump agreed to lift certain sanctions, arguing that easing restrictions could support Syria’s reconstruction and stabilize territory returning to government control. A U.S. government statement called the move an effort to encourage Syria’s post-Assad transition and improve security conditions.

In Aleppo, where clashes between pro-government forces and remnants of Kurdish units have flared intermittently, Barrack urged both sides to honor de-escalation commitments outlined in the 2025 integration agreements between the Syrian Democratic Forces and Damascus.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth confirmed last month that the ISIS gunman directly responsible for the Palmyra ambush was killed by partner forces, describing it as the first phase of the U.S. response. Friday’s strike, officials added, signals that Washington intends to pursue networks connected to the attack, not just the individual assailant.

Abigail Spanberger Makes History as Virginia’s First Female Governor, Joined by Trailblazing Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General – don’t miss the full article, read this blog immediately!

More From Author

Abigail Spanberger Makes History as Virginia’s First Female Governor, Joined by Trailblazing Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General

FBI Announces Capture of Long-Sought North Carolina Murder Suspect in Mexico